Thursday, September 15, 2011

The lord has taken an angel home...


This week we honor and remember Grandma Mimi. “GMa” as we all called her, is Joshua’s grandmother who passed last Thursday, September 8, 2011.  And while I had only known her for about 3 years, that was enough of time for her to make an impact in my life. She taught us that the little things don’t matter, that we don’t need money and materialistic things to be happy. She offered us great advice and told us many stories of her own life. But most of all made us laugh. Whenever I was there, I always sat in the spot next to her on the couch. That was the best place because you could always hear her mumble something under her breath. I could always hear her jokes and wittiness. You had to be sitting right next to her to hear it, but it was always something hilarious. In sitting next to her, she wanted me to help her with her crossword puzzles. Like I was any smarter.... But I tried. And for those 3 years of going down to Gma's I think I got one answer.

She had a sparkle in her eye every time Josh would walk in the room. She loved him so much and just lit up to the sky when he walked in. There were times when we would not tell her we were coming down and just show up and every time she would do a double take when Josh walked in. I can still remember her words to distinctly with such excitement, "Oh-My-God, I don't believe it!" I can still hear Gma saying those words. There's nothing like a Grandma being around her grandson. It is a beautiful thing.

Last Christmas I was able to experience the infamous aker peas and rice Josh spoke so highly of. Now when I found out how much he loved aker peas, I said What? You like what? Coming from the guy who doesn't even like sharp cheddar cheese on his hamburger. So I knew if he loved it, then it must be good.  So that Christmas eve, I stacked my plate with aker peas and rice, and you know what I like 'em.  Nothing beats a Grandmas cookin. They can make anything taste delish. I cooked them for Josh recently, and while GMas still takes the gold, I got a "they're good". Hopefully one day, my kids and grand kids will love my cooking as much as Josh loved hers.

I didn't get to know Gma, like Josh knew her. Although I wish I had. I am thankful for the time I was able to spend with her. She was an amazing woman, mother, grandmother and great grandmother. She was so wise and witty. So artistic and lovable. So thoughtful and humble.... I am so very happy she was able to meet Cooper and laugh with him, hold his hand and hug him. Josh and I will have many many stories to tell him of his Great Gma one day and how awesome and cool it was for her to take a beer funnel at a party in front of Josh and Chris's friends. She swore it was just water in there, but we all know how much she loved her Old Milwaukee :)

We will miss you dearly Grandma Mimi!!

There will be a celebration of her life Sunday September 18th at 3pm at Karen's house. Everyone and anyone is more than welcome to join. Please come share your fondest memories as we celebrate her long and happy life!





Love always

2 comments:

  1. Wow I'm lost for words Allie how beautiful brought tears to my eyes I know she heard every word I read aloud just now and is smiling

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok that wa a tear jerker pic killer pic
    anne

    ReplyDelete